The History of Overton Church
Small, in his History of the UP Church, records under the heading of 'Saltcoats Trinity', that in 1781 “a respectable body of people in the Parishes of Ardrossan and West Kilbride” were received as a new congregation.
According to the Statistical Account, by the turn of the century some 50 West Kilbride parishioners attended worship at Saltcoats, “taking lanterns with them, which were used for the lighting of the meeting place at the evening service”.
One must admire the strength of the religious views of those who travelled this distance each Sunday.
Their desire was to have a church of their own, and from 1823 they had services in West Kilbride once a fortnight, conducted by Mr Ellis of Saltcoats.